Target Windows Phone 8 now with Marmalade and get discovered – Indie, Plus and Professional!
The latest version of Marmalade’s Windows Phone 8 (2nd beta) support is available to download, below.
As well as being available to Marmalade Professional and Plus licence holders, we’ve now made this second beta software available to Marmalade Indie Licence holders.
With Marmalade's 2nd beta version software for Windows Phone 8 you’ll be able to:
- Deploy OpenGL ES 2.0 based applications on Windows Phone 8
- Start developing apps and games for Windows Phone 8 today
- Make the most of an environment with fewer competitors
- Reach consumers on this innovative new platform
- Be there as the audience grows rapidly
A few notes on our early Beta for Windows Phone 8
We're very excited that we've been able to make this 2nd beta available to a broader range of Marmalade customers. We're aiming to launch the full version by early summer so any feedback you may have will be most welcome. Just get in touch with us here or go to Marmalade Answers and tag your post 'Windows Phone 8'.
There are some differences using Marmalade for Windows Phone 8 and a few known issues we're working on that you should be aware of as you start to use this support. Please let us know how you're getting on!
- Marmalade early Beta Windows Phone 8 support can only be installed on a Windows 8 Desktop PC.
- Customers will also need to install the Windows Phone 8 SDK and Visual Studio 2012 (Express Phone Edition or Professional).
- Visual Studio 2012 is only supported for Windows Phone 8 Development. For all other platforms you will need to use previous versions of Visual Studio.
- Marmalade projects currently need to be rebuilt for Windows Phone 8 but the same source can be used.
- Marmalade early Beta support for Windows Phone 8 supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and Marmalade's own IwGX graphics pipelines, no need to rewrite your app for DirectX.
- Windows Phone 8 does not support runtime shader compilation, instead precompiled shader or program binaries must be used. The Marmalade Toolchain has been enhanced to provide a shader compilation tool.
- All Marmalade Universal APIs are supported except for Threading & Video.